Tax Help News

Tax news, videos, blog posts and more from our team of experts!
Ask a Tax Expert

Ask The Experts: 1099 Forms, NASE Dues Deductibility

Read this article in PDF form here.

Q: I’m an independent graphic designer and occasionally contract with copywriters. In the past my expenses have not exceeded the $600 maximum, but in 2012 they did, so I need to set up a 1099. I have the writer’s W-9 form, but I don’t know where to go from here. I found a service by Intuit for $25 that will do the work and file it for me, but I’m sure there must be a way to do it myself. I use Sample Pay to help figure out how to fill out and file my 944, W-2 and W-3 forms, but don’t see that they offer a service for 1099s.

A: The completion of the form 1099 is very easy. There are certainly accounting software programs and services such as the one you mentioned to help with the filing, but you can also easily do it yourself. If you have a large number of them it might be easier to go the software route, but if you only have one or two, my recommendation is to simply complete them manually.

The only information that is needed for the Form 1099 is the recipient’s name, address, tax ID number and the amount that you paid them. All of this information (except payment amount) is included on the W-9 form that you have for each independent contractor. You will also need a form 1096, which is just a summary form showing the totals of all the 1099s that are attached. You can download a copy of the form 1099-MISC directly from the IRS website along with detailed instructions at

Note that the online form is for informational purposes only and should not be filed with the IRS. Instead, you can get the forms you need for filing at any office supply store such as Office Depot or Staples. You can also order them free from the IRS by calling 800-TAX-FORM.

Q: Can I deduct my NASE Membership dues on my taxes?

A: Yes, most of your NASE dues are deductible. The IRS does not allow the deduction of any business association dues that are related to lobbying efforts. The NASE certainly promotes the interests of small businesses in Washington, D.C. Thus, a portion of your dues must be considered lobbying costs. The NASE has determined that $17 of your annual dues are allocated to those efforts of promoting small-business legislative issues and therefore must be excluded from the deduction. So, the amount of your dues actually paid during 2012 less $17 will be deductible on your 2012 business tax return.

Keith Hall, NASE Tax Expert 

Get More Answers

The NASE’s small-business experts are here to help you understand the ins and outs of operating a successful small business. And access to these professionals is free with your NASE Membership!

Just go online to the NASE’s Business Learning Center where you can ask the experts questions about:
  • Taxes 
  • Marketing
  • Financial issues       
  • Employee relations
  • Accounting rules      
  • And much more

The experts are available 24/7 and ready to help!

Read this article in PDF form here.

Share This Page...

Related Videos...

  • Are Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments Really Needed?

    Find out more about quarterly estimated tax payments. How much should my quarterly payment be and what happens if I do not make payments? What are a 3 safe harbors to help you avoid penalties? Always remember, do not pay in more taxes than you have to.
    Posted on Jan 10, 2018 by Katie Vlietstra
  • How to Deduct the Business Use of Your Vehicle

    Will you be prepared at the end of the year to take your vehicle tax deduction? Are you keeping a mileage log in case of audit?
    Posted on Jan 10, 2018
  • Self Employment Tax

    As a self-employed business owner, you are the employee and the company. Make sure that self-employment tax is part of your business plan.
    Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Want to see more related videos?  Click here  

Related Blog Posts...

Want to see more blog posts?  Click here  

Still Have Questions?

Ask The Expert