Ask The Experts: Tax Extension

Read this article in PDF form here.

Q: Is there a way to request an extension for Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) and State Unemployment Tax Act (SUTA) taxes as well as quarterly payroll taxes?

Unfortunately, there is no formal extension or payment plan related to the payment of FUTA and SUTA taxes. However, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will certainly work with you if there are taxes that are unpaid. Unfortunately, the IRS is somewhat less patient with payroll taxes since a majority of those amounts represent amounts that are withheld from employee paychecks. Be open and up front with the IRS about any payment issues that you might be having. Make sure that all payroll tax returns and other reporting requirements are timely and up to date. The IRS will not discuss this with you in much detail until all the forms are filed.

Courtesy of