Tax Help Blog

Tax blog posts, news, videos and more from our team of experts!
Ask a Tax Expert

I recently set up an LLC for my new business. Which tax form do I need to file?

Sep 08, 2009

The LLC will actually have to elect how it will be taxed for federal income tax purposes.

If you are the only owner of the LLC, it can choose either to be taxed as a sole proprietorship or as a corporation. If there are more than one owners then the option is to be taxed as a partnership or as a corporation. Most small-business owners organized as an LLC choose to be taxed as a sole proprietorship or as a partnership and not as a corporation in order to maintain pass through taxation.

If you are the only owner and elect to be taxed as a sole proprietorship then you will include a Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business with your personal return. This is exactly the same as if you were not operating as an LLC but a sole proprietorship without the LLC filing entity. Here's a link to the 2008 IRS Schedule C Profit or Loss From Business tax form. The 2009 form isn't available yet. And here's the NASE's line-by-line guide to filling out Schedule C.

If there is more than one owner and you choose partnership, as most small-business owners would do, then the LLC will file a partnership income tax return which is form 1065.

In either case, if you choose to be taxed as a corporation then the LLC would file a form 1120, which is the corporation income tax return form.

NASE Social Media

res-footer-facebook res-footer-twitter res-footer-linkedin

res-footer-blog res-footer-huffpost res-footer-youtube

Related News...

How To Qualify For Social Security Disability Benefits If You Are Self-Employed
If you are self-employed, you own your own business or you do gig work or freelance. You pay in taxes, but you do not have an employer who makes deductions from your paychecks. If you are self-employed and you are disabled because of a medical condition, you may qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA). This is a rundown of how you can qualify for disability benefits if you are self-employed.
Posted on Dec 16, 2020
Ask the Expert - Added Expenses on Extended Tax Return
Question: I extended my tax return that is now due on October 15th. I just discovered that I left off some expenses from the previous year that I should have included. Can I include those amounts on this tax return or on next year’s tax return, or have I lost the benefit of those expenses?
Posted on Sep 13, 2019
Tax Preparation for the Small Business Owner
At The National Association for the Self-Employed, we know that tax season can be a hassle for independent contractors, freelancers, and small business owners. You don’t usually have the resources to hire seasoned accountants, so you end up taking precious time out of your busy day to do it yourself. But never fear, NASE is here to guide you and your small business through the process with the essential knowledge you’ll need to navigate your 2018 Tax Year.
Posted on Feb 25, 2019
Want to see more news items?  Click here  

Related Videos...

Are Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments Really Needed?
Find out more about quarterly estimated tax payments. How much should my quarterly payment be and what happens if I do not make payments? What are a 3 safe harbors to help you avoid penalties? Always remember, do not pay in more taxes than you have to.
Posted on Jan 10, 2018 by Katie Vlietstra
How to Deduct the Business Use of Your Vehicle
Will you be prepared at the end of the year to take your vehicle tax deduction? Are you keeping a mileage log in case of audit?
Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Self Employment Tax
As a self-employed business owner, you are the employee and the company. Make sure that self-employment tax is part of your business plan.
Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Want to see more related videos?  Click here  

Still Have Questions?

Ask The Expert

Courtesy of