Tax Help Blog

Tax blog posts, news, videos and more from our team of experts!
Ask a Tax Expert

Home Office Deduction

Apr 20, 2010
Q: I started a new business several months ago and I operate out of my home. I have heard I can deduct my expenses for the home office. Is this true? And how do I do that?

A: The amount of the deduction will depend on the space that you have allocated to the home office. The key is that you use a portion of your home “regularly” and “exclusively” for business, then you would qualify for the home office deduction. This is true even if you rent your house or apartment. The exclusive part is usually the more difficult of the two for small business owners. This means that the space can be used only for the business and have no other personal usage. For example, if the room that you use for your office has a TV in it that the kids use to play video games, then the space would not qualify for the home office deduction. If the space qualifies, then all of the costs associated with maintaining that portion of your home would be deductible, including your rent and utilities.

The amount that would be deductible would be based on the business percentage of the use of the home which is determined by taking the percentage of the space used for business compared to the overall space of the home. Therefore, if you have an office used regularly and exclusively for business that was 200 square feet and your total home was 2000 square feet, then the percentage would be 10.0 percent, 200 divided by 2000. Therefore, 10% of the costs of maintaining the home would be deductible as a business expense.

The deductible expenses are reported on Form 8829, which is attached to your tax return. The IRS has a very good publication to help you with this information called Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home. You can download the publication for free from the IRS website at You can also download form 8829 along with instructions.
NASE Social Media

res-footer-facebook res-footer-twitter res-footer-linkedin

res-footer-blog res-footer-huffpost res-footer-youtube

Related News...

How To Qualify For Social Security Disability Benefits If You Are Self-Employed
If you are self-employed, you own your own business or you do gig work or freelance. You pay in taxes, but you do not have an employer who makes deductions from your paychecks. If you are self-employed and you are disabled because of a medical condition, you may qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA). This is a rundown of how you can qualify for disability benefits if you are self-employed.
Posted on Dec 16, 2020
Ask the Expert - Added Expenses on Extended Tax Return
Question: I extended my tax return that is now due on October 15th. I just discovered that I left off some expenses from the previous year that I should have included. Can I include those amounts on this tax return or on next year’s tax return, or have I lost the benefit of those expenses?
Posted on Sep 13, 2019
Tax Preparation for the Small Business Owner
At The National Association for the Self-Employed, we know that tax season can be a hassle for independent contractors, freelancers, and small business owners. You don’t usually have the resources to hire seasoned accountants, so you end up taking precious time out of your busy day to do it yourself. But never fear, NASE is here to guide you and your small business through the process with the essential knowledge you’ll need to navigate your 2018 Tax Year.
Posted on Feb 25, 2019
Want to see more news items?  Click here  

Related Videos...

Are Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments Really Needed?
Find out more about quarterly estimated tax payments. How much should my quarterly payment be and what happens if I do not make payments? What are a 3 safe harbors to help you avoid penalties? Always remember, do not pay in more taxes than you have to.
Posted on Jan 10, 2018 by Katie Vlietstra
How to Deduct the Business Use of Your Vehicle
Will you be prepared at the end of the year to take your vehicle tax deduction? Are you keeping a mileage log in case of audit?
Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Self Employment Tax
As a self-employed business owner, you are the employee and the company. Make sure that self-employment tax is part of your business plan.
Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Want to see more related videos?  Click here  

Still Have Questions?

Ask The Expert

Courtesy of