Tax Help News

Tax news, videos, blog posts and more from our team of experts!
Ask a Tax Expert

Ask the Expert - Added Expenses on Extended Tax Return

I extended my tax return that is now due on October 15th. I just discovered that I left off some expenses from the previous year that I should have included. Can I include those amounts on this tax return or on next year’s tax return, or have I lost the benefit of those expenses?

The easy answer is ‘No’ to both questions. It would not be appropriate to include payments made in a prior year on the current year’s income tax return or on the next year’s tax return, but the good news is that does not mean you have lost the benefit. As you probably already know, the IRS keeps our tax returns ‘open’ for three years, meaning that they can go back and examine those returns for potential errors or omissions at any time during that three year period. That may not sound fair, but it also means that we can make adjustments to those returns as well if indeed we find that something was omitted or we discovered an error. The correct approach for the omitted deductions that you have discovered is to file an amended tax return for the tax year to which the items actually apply. The process is much easier than it sounds and in most cases you can complete the process yourself. If you use a tax professional, it would be a good idea to visit with them first to see how much in additional fees you will incur compared to the tax that you will recoup to determine whether or not the amended return is worth the effort.

The amended return is completed using IRS Form 1040X. You can download a copy of the form along with detailed instructions directly from the IRS website at The form is basically just a comparison of the information that was originally filed and the new information that includes the missing items. Any specific forms from the original return that have changed based on the new data are also attached to the Form 1040X and that’s it. Pretty simple and in most cases certainly worth the effort. The bottom line is that you should not include old items on the current tax return, but also don’t assume that there is no benefit from those items.

As always, don’t forget that you are not alone. Bookmark our website at as well as the IRS website at you will always be able to find the help you need.

NASE Social Media

res-footer-facebook res-footer-twitter res-footer-linkedin

res-footer-blog res-footer-huffpost res-footer-youtube

Related Videos...

Are Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments Really Needed?
Find out more about quarterly estimated tax payments. How much should my quarterly payment be and what happens if I do not make payments? What are a 3 safe harbors to help you avoid penalties? Always remember, do not pay in more taxes than you have to.
Posted on Jan 10, 2018 by Katie Vlietstra
How to Deduct the Business Use of Your Vehicle
Will you be prepared at the end of the year to take your vehicle tax deduction? Are you keeping a mileage log in case of audit?
Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Self Employment Tax
As a self-employed business owner, you are the employee and the company. Make sure that self-employment tax is part of your business plan.
Posted on Jan 10, 2018
Want to see more related videos?  Click here  

Related Blog Posts...

How to Get Your New Business on Track
When running a business, you need to understand how to run and track your money well before your business can commence, which areas of your business you can automate or outsource, and which experts you should consult for the guidance you need to help you do well.
Posted on Sep 05, 2018 by Susan Ranford
Key Tax Incentive Extensions from the American Taxpayer Relief Act
Posted on Jan 11, 2013
Which Retirement Plan Should I Choose? [NASE Experts]
Posted on Jul 19, 2012
Business Meals [Ask The Experts Q & A]
Posted on May 15, 2012
Does Your Tax Planning End On New Years?
Posted on Apr 10, 2012
Want to see more blog posts?  Click here  

Still Have Questions?

Ask The Expert

Courtesy of