How To Find A Qualified Tax Preparer (Wall Street Journal)


How To Find A Qualified Tax Preparer (Wall Street Journal)

According to Keith Hall, national tax adviser for the National Association for the Self-Employed, a nonprofit business group in Washington, D.C., you should hire someone experienced in preparing tax returns for start-ups. Further, the more recent the experience he or she has doing this, the better. “Just because you passed the CPA exam some years ago doesn’t mean you have the tax expertise to fit clients’ needs,” Mr. Hall says, referring to accounting professionals with the Certified Public Accountant designation.

Even better would be to find a tax professional who’s prepared returns for businesses in your industry because there are distinct rules and deduction options for businesses in certain sectors, adds Mr. Hall. For example, “if you’re in the construction industry, you have unique depreciation issues,” he says.

Read the entire article here.

Courtesy of